Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why I'm Starting My Own Nonprofit

As you know, I'm an advocate of not spreading yourself too thin and weeding out unnecessary activities by focusing on your top 5 priorities in life. I'm a busy gal (we all are, right!?), but there is a project that I've had on my mind for years now, and I'm excited to say, it's finally coming to life.

If you're on our e-mail list, then you received the news that I'm starting my own nonprofit organization called Generation Hope, which matches sponsors with teen parents from the Washington D.C. and Baltimore areas who are attending college.
Our mission is:


Generation Hope is a nonprofit organization that matches sponsors with teen parents from the Washington D.C. and Baltimore areas who are attending college and are in need of financial and emotional support. Based on the belief that education is vital to success, its purposes are to give young parents and their children a support system as they pursue academic excellence, to provide a direct-support experience for sponsoring organizations and individuals, and to create a new generation of ambitious and successful families.










Why did I choose an organization with this mission?  As a teen mom, earning my college degree meant a world of difference in my life.  I went from homelessness to stability, and I've achieved more than I ever thought possible.  I want the same for others. 

If you care about poverty, homelessness, children, and education, then you should care about teen parents.  The link between teen pregnancy and poverty is absolutely clear.  (Check out this article: http://tinyurl.com/273krb2 )

I'd love to have your support in this new endeavor.  Check out GH's blog:  http://supportgenerationhope.blogspot.com, join our Facebook page:   http://ow.ly/1NfYA, and follow us on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/SupportGenHope.  We're excited about making this an organization that celebrates the community and volunteerism so let us know if you'd like to get involved!  (Check out the "Current Needs" section on our blog to find out how you can help today!)

I'll be blogging about Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month (May) soon!

xo,

Nicole

1 comment:

B.Ferreal said...

Good on you, Nicole!
This is inspiring -- really and I will be in touch to see how i can help.